Thursday, March 11, 2010

Perspective

I see fellow Gen Yers getting cetrelink payments, living with and off of their parents and spending most of their nights at some random club blowing it all on booze then bitching on facebook about how 'poor' they are.

Then I know people who are in the Armed Forces who work on and off shifts, it just so happens that when they are ON shift, they have to take stress leave. These particular people havent been overseas nor have they seen action. From my understanding they sit behind a desk all day and bark orders. They live in some McMansion with all the perfect trimmings.

Then there is me, I work 5 days a week (sometimes 6) from 7 in the morning till 5 at night. I work pretty hard and I put the effort in. I get a pittance. I dont enjoy my job, there is no room for growth and there is nothing uplifting or positive about it. Its just a job! I complain about how poor I am frequently and about how I want the lavish lifestyle.

But then I sit back and read the news. People in Haiti, a third world country, were hit while they were down. They have 5 year olds 'working' every day of the week for nothing because thats just how it works. Do you think we hear them complaining about how they dont have the latest fashion accessory ? Or about how they dont get a lavish dinner one of the finest resturants around?

Nope.

Perhaps its a different version of complaining, perhaps they whinge about how they actually want to eat dinner instead of going hungry or how they want to drink clean water instead of tossing up between infection or dehydration...

It puts things in perspective when your having a bad day...It really does. I have no idea what its like to have a tough life. I have a loving family, I have friends who, although some of them ive never properly met, I certainly trust. I am healthy, smart and I have so many oppurtunities!

So while I may not be rich in money, I am rich in life. And while on days, i sit back and wish for more material things, I thank my lucky stars that I have what ive got!

I heard a quote once, its my favourite quote and if anyone can tell me who originally said it I will be eternally grateful!

'If you cant see the bright side of life; polish the dull side,'

Thats what the people of Haiti are doing, maybe we should all take out our shining cloths and do the same thing.

Poppit xo

No comments:

Post a Comment